Closing date: 17 Sep 2019
UNOPS has been supporting projects in Pakistan for more than 15 years and in 2010 opened a new office in Islamabad to support the post-flood relief and recovery effort.
UNOPS in Pakistan implements projects in the following thematic areas:
- Early recovery and reconstruction of community infrastructure
- Project management and related monitoring and verification
- Community Development
- Gender Justice and Women’s Empowerment
Supported strategically by a regional operational hub and UNOPS headquarters in Copenhagen and within the overarching framework of the ONE UN Programme, UNOPS Pakistan continues to deliver projects across the country under its core delivery practices of sustainable infrastructure, sustainable procurement, and sustainable project management.
In June 2016, UNOPS identified the lack of electricity in the primary schools’ infrastructures of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province in Pakistan as a major hindrance to the children’s quality schooling, and approached the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Elementary and Secondary Education Department (ESED), which confirmed that responding to this issue was one of their priorities. ESED furthermore pointed out the seven southern districts of the province as being the most underserved. UNOPS conducted a feasibility study and secured funding from the Saudi Fund for Development (SFD), who in turn approached the UK Department for International Development (DFID) and arranged a joint funding for the supply and installation of solar PV plants in approximately 1250 primary schools spread across the southern districts of KP province. The Solar Schools project started on 13th February 2018 and shall be completed by the 31st January 2020.
Under the direct supervision of Project Manager, the Reporting/Communications intern will be responsible for reporting tasks, communication and social media management. S/He will support Project Manager for project’s planned activities and donor reporting. S/He will also participate in business development and other project management activities. In addition, s/he will develop content, presentations, briefings, speaking points and other required material.
The Reporting/Communications Intern will perform the following functions:
- Support Project manager for project planned activities, donor compliance and reporting;
- Develop content, presentations, briefings, speaking points and other material as required;
- Support the preparation of external communication materials customized for target key audiences such as donors, UN agencies, governments and other stakeholders and manage social media communication;
- Develop written content, including blogs, articles, stories and press releases;
- Participate in business development and other project management activities;
- Assist in the elaboration and maintenance of project documents;
- Assist in compiling and reviewing relevant project information;
- Regularly update, in coordination with the project manager, project monitoring and reporting tools such as the matrix of risks, the logical frame, the action points tracker, etc.
- Produce tables, graphs, images, maps, etc. with the highest graphical standards to illustrate those documents;
- Conduct secondary research in different fields, acquire knowledge independently if unfamiliar with the subject, organize, synthesize and check findings to ensure accuracy.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Completion of the tasks in a timely manner.
- Submission of the required reports and assignments with high accuracy.
- Interns should be enrolled in a university degree programme in such as Bachelor, Masters or Ph.D. (or the equivalent), or have graduated from such studies within three years prior to the application date of the internship. A degree in management, communication, political or social sciences, literature, or other relevant discipline is highly desirable.
- Experience working in project support and/or communication will be given preference.
- Superior analytical skills;
- Superior writing skills (including structure, conciseness, style, syntax, grammar, spelling and formatting);
- Social Media Management (SMM) Skills: Familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram);
- ICT Awareness: Expert knowledge of Microsoft tools is an asset. Knowledge of InDesign and/or Photoshop is an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English is essential;
- Fluency in Urdu and Pashtu is desirable.
How to apply:
Please visit the following link to apply:
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.